Journaling Chazown  

Posted by Benjie in , ,

The article below is the first of a series that I plan to double post here and at Loom & Wheel Words. Enjoy.

I just received a review copy of Craig Groeschel’s Chazown. The title is taken from the Hebrew word translated “dream, revelation, or vision.” In reading the first few pages, the author encouraged the reader to interact with the book in order to discover his own personal vision. In order to give a true reading to the book, I’m taking Groeschel’s advice and have logged on to http://www.chazown.com/ and down-loaded the accompanying journal. I’m also going to try to respond especially to the “You’re the Author” prompts as well as jot down thoughts that inspire me. Some of those thoughts will make their way here.

Groeschel introduces the idea of Chazown by indicating that the vision is one that will lead you to living your life in such a way that there is no question of God’s direction there. He uses the example of Joseph who dreams of being elevated into a place of leadership only to be thrown into a pit, into prison, and then finally to realize the dream. It occurred to me to ask the question “Are there people you know who are showing the spirit of vision spoken about in the book?” Below is one answer that struck me from recent days:

One man who is living and breathing Chazown in his life—before my eyes—is
Steve Hunt. Out of nowhere he contacts me with a glimpse of his vision:
write a story that points people to Jesus.

The journey has moved him from asking the question, “What shall I do to glorify
God?” to writing a novel that is tastefully filled with the gospel message in the hope to reach some who would never read the Bible with the message of salvation.

The writing of the book went smoothly as he wrote each evening after work. Then
with an impression from the Holy Spirit, he sent the manuscript to only one publisher for consideration. The publisher accepted his submission and now the
book is in stores with the second book in the process of editing and a third forming in his mind.

Steve’s statement to me (on more than one occasion): “I’m not looking to make any money; if one person comes to Christ by this effort, I will be happy.”

This entry was posted on 09 August 2007 at 5:00 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 Reader Response(s)

Great book. I even preached a series on it. It spoke to me probably more than anyone else.

9:26 AM

Yes, it look like it is a great book. Ben, I am sorry I haven't been around in a while, I have been very sick. I am feeling better and now having days I can blog. I getting over GBS. I still have a lot of pain, fatigue, and other symptoms. Some days are good and some days are bad. On the good days I will try and stop by your blog and read and comment. I hope you are doing good. I still enjoy your blog very much. It is still an encouragement to me and my faith. You are welcome at my blog any time. I post when I can. Love to have you add to any discussion. God bless you brother an hope you have a great weekend.

1:46 PM

Kevin, I saw your reference to the book on your blog. It's one reason that I was glad to do a review for the book. The other reason is that I was pretty much impressed with Groeschel's new book Confessions of a Pastor.

Preacherman, Thanks for stopping by. You're always welcome here to browse around, comment, and generally enjoy. I must confess that I haven't made a showing at your blog in a while, although I do like to glimpse your thoughtful posers and the discussions that follow now and again. I'll be praying for you and a speedy recovery.

7:52 PM

Post a Comment