Word Police -- "Anyways"  

Posted by Benjie in


I've encountered this aberration more often in spoken than in written language. Blessed be the advent of blogs. Now I get to see this non-word crop up even on the 'net. As a colloquialism I have encountered this one relatively frequently in my native Texas. But it seems to rear its ugly head around our nation. My typical response is simply to cringe. After all, they're just talking, right? But when it spews from the lips of educated Americans, my head starts to throb. The verbal pause "Anyway" should never be made plural by adding an 's' because it is a collective (by virtue of the "any" that introduces the word).


The purpose for this rant? I saw it on the comment section of a more than colloquial blog. Thank you very much.

This entry was posted on 12 September 2007 at 4:47 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 Reader Response(s)

Anonymous  

Hey, how are things?

1:50 PM

Post a Comment