A Word About LOL  

Posted by Benjie in ,

I text. Mostly to church members and my Beautiful Blushing Bride. But I am not a fan of texting as it is done by the generation who made it up--they have this kookie language that has nothing to do with the rules of genteel spelling and grammar. It almost reminds me of what my Hebrew professor at seminary told me about the original language: "There were originally no vowels, the vowel points were added later by scribes who wanted to preserve the pronunciation."

Well, we're back. Back to no vowels again. I almost wonder why we bothered with them in the first place.

But, I digress. Let's get back to the issue at hand: a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad bag full of abbreviations - ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing), BFF (best friend forever), and the like. One of the most misunderstood, misinterpreted, and misused of the lot is LOL. For the uninformed and uninitiated old people who don't or won't text this acronym does not (nor has it ever) stand for "lots of love." Far from it, this little bit of joy stands for "Laugh (or Laughing, depending on your texting dictionary) Out Loud." It suggests that what ever precedes it is a good and funny joke--forcing one to, well, laugh out loud.

And now for the sad reality of using the LOL - decorum dictates that one should not use LOL for their own comments. This is the equivalent of the comic who laughs at his own jokes (even though they are not really funny jokes at all), or the preacher who constantly has to remind his congregation that he has said something with which they should all agree (can I get an Amen? LOL) So you see, if someone wants to LOL at something you've said it's cool (even if you didn't think you said something funny, because they did), and if you think the preacher has said something with which you agree, give a hearty Amen (you can even start your own corner if you like, preachers like that). But it is bad manners for the preacher to beg for Amens, for the comic to guffaw, or for the texter to LOL at his own posts. If it's funny, others will LOL at you. And if it's really funny they might even ROFL.

Go ahead, you can LOL in the comments section now.

This entry was posted on 07 January 2012 at 10:23 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 Reader Response(s)

Steve Hunt  

I, too, have a problem with the language used in texting. It must be the age. Instead of using LOL, I tend to use a "Ha" in substitution when I want to express that I thought something was funny. It seems more fitting and everyone can understand a simple "Ha!" My grandmother used "Ha" in letters to me back when a person had to actually write their message on paper and mail them.

2:38 PM

Post a Comment