Moms  

Posted by Benjie in ,


Mother’s Day is upon us. It’s not too late to grab a card and rush it off in the post, order a nice bouquet of flowers, or determine to call your mother on Sunday. Some are planning on honoring their mother by joining her for church this Sunday. Let me suggest that you honor her by attending church every week—whether it can be with her or not. This would be a most appropriate gift to give your mother.

Today, I’d like to honor mothers, mothers-to-be, and mothers-could-be wherever they may be. Mothers come in a variety of packages—big, small, young, old, dark, light, and everything in between. They present themselves differently as well: working mothers, stay-at-home mothers, strict and lenient, stern and soft. Whatever variety you own, it is a gift. Let me sing the praises of just a few as representative:

The mother who works because she has to: I grew up in this household. My mom was one who could work a full day corralling kids in whatever grade she was teaching at the time and come home to make a tasty meal that was filling to all, keep the house clean and dishes washed with never so much a complaint. She was a task-master, my mom, assigning jobs and supervising them all while grading papers and teaching us to love one another and Jesus. It was greatly because of my mother’s influence that I personally said yes to Jesus at an early age. Thanks, Mom, I love you.

The mother who works in the home: I’m thankful that God has provided a way for my blushing bride to remain at home and be the first influence on our children. Stay-at-home moms are to be praised because they find ways to stretch the shrinking dollars to keep groceries on the table and clothes on the backs of families that are often continuing to grow. My sweet wife finds ways to keep my children busy and entertained (not always with the television, but with activity and “free play” time as well). They are adjusting and learning to care for others within and out of our family. Thanks, Sweetheart, for all that you do.

The adoptive mother: This mom comes in two varieties. (1) The mother who shares the love of motherhood by adopting a child who has lost parents or whose biological parents don’t (for whatever reason) want them. I have friends and acquaintances that have done this and my applause is for you. Taking in a child to love as your own is a task that is laudable in any situation. Thanks, Marianne, Beth, and Diana for being mothers who took in “unwanted” children and made them “wanted” once again. (2) Also, I have seen mothers who, whether they have biological children of their own or not, have become “mother” to a myriad of children. These are those who become the mother for the one whose mother is away or distant, for the one who just wants some more love, for the one who are part of a group that need “mothering”. Thanks, Shirley (Momma) for being willing to share the love with a generation of teenagers.

Thanks, Mom, whoever and wherever you are.

Again, the mothers mentioned are just a representative of all the mothers that are. Feel free to honor your own mom(s) in the comment area.

This entry was posted on 08 May 2007 at 1:21 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 Reader Response(s)

I'm tagging you on my blog to write 8 random facts/habits about yourself. You can read the directions there! You can also read the 8 random things about me!!!

12:31 PM

12:51 PM
Anonymous  

Hope y'all have a good Mom's Day!

5:33 PM

Post a Comment