Word Police  

Posted by Benjie in ,


[I thought about calling this column "Grammar Police" but it's really not grammar that holds a problem for Americans--it's how we use the words (or misuse them). Anyway, I've decided that instead of correcting every little error (which I am wont to do--but that makes people cringe and run away), I'll occasionally point out a particular peeve in the way that we speak. In this way, I get my rant out and don't offend my friends. I'll only address those issues that catch my eye (or ear) when they really hack me off. For the time being I'll leave punctuation to the puncuation police. If you would like to join in the conversation, well that's what the comment section is for. Just remember that I like to keep the place clean when making your comments. And now on to . . .]


Today's Rant: Everyday


In writing, Americans have become lazy. Take for instance the word "everyday." This is a good word. It's an adjective (that means it modifies a noun). It should be used correctly in describing an item or event:


He is wearing his everyday shirt. (There is nothing special about the shirt, it could be worn any or every day.)


or, Their everyday routine is to eat breakfast before leaving for work.


Notice that in both our examples today the word everyday explains the item or event. On the other hand I have found more and more Americans using the adjective "everyday" when they mean to say every day. The difference is that when we want to indicate a daily occurence that but are not using the adjectival rendering, we should use the two word phrase "every day."


I go to the mall every day.


She eats yogurt every day.


What a world of difference one little space can make. So when writing, dear reader, remember to add the space when you are not modifying a noun.

This entry was posted on 31 August 2007 at 7:18 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 Reader Response(s)

Ah, it warms an old English teacher's heard to read this.

9:02 AM

It's my "old English teacher's heart" that has heartburn over stuff like this.

9:05 AM
Anonymous  

Oh my goodness, I totally know what you are talking about. I think about it everyday.

10:56 AM

Post a Comment