News on the Writing Front  

Posted by Benjie in , ,

While I've been working on sermons and prose over the last (many) years, I've held onto several poems that leaked out of my pen some twenty or more years ago. In some of my surfing, I ran across a poetry contest at Wordclay.com that seemed to scream, "Drag some of that old, stale stuff out and send it in!" The deadline was earlier this month, and I dusted off five likelies and submitted them. Judging was supposed to be completed by the 25th, and I hadn't received the notification of Grand prize (500 + perks) or Runner Up (250 + mini-perks), so I knew I didn't win. However, being a contestant of interest I checked the website to discover that my tribute to Garfield and Faye Moore, "I Remembered" was chosen as one of the 100 finalists.

So, what does this mean? I'll get a free book - the anthology made up of the poems of the finalists. The book (so says Wordclay) will be ready for publication sometime in March. I'll probably post again for interested readers when the book comes out.

This entry was posted on 29 February 2008 at 8:41 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 Reader Response(s)

Congratulations on being a finalist!

10:32 PM

Congrats. Maybe it's time to start writing poetry again.

7:25 AM

Benjie,
I want you to know that on the 29th I made the most of it. I spent it with family. I played with my sons out side because it was in the high 80's outside. I also spent time writting poetry. I want you to know that I enjoy your poetry and your blog. You blog is such a blessing and encouragement to us all. Thank you for all you do. I pray that God will continue to bless your life in ways you have never even thought about or dreamed before.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry
Congratulations brother on being a finalist. I thik it is so wonderful. Thank you for sharing your life with us. You are a true blessing to us.

9:08 AM

David,
Thanks.

Bill,
Maybe . . .

Kinney,
Thanks for stopping by. Glad you were able to be with the kids on Leap Day. I continue to pray for you. Lord bless you, your family, and your ministry.

10:28 AM
Anonymous  

Benj, Congrats! That's awesome! So you can officially say that you are published?

12:19 PM

Josh, Thanks. On being "published" -- a lot depends on how narrow your position is on the terminology.

Some argue that I was first published when the Mesquite High School art & literature publication (The Forum) printed some of my writing when I was but a wee shaver. Some would include my self-published writings (which have sold, but not in major markets) should qualify.

As far as the contest--I have yet to see the finished product, so until then perhaps I'm still not published.

1:33 PM

Post a Comment