Pretty Picture Anyway  

Posted by Benjie in , , ,



You may have received this photo via email explaining that it is one of the rarest natural occurrences known to man. The one I got was a forward claiming that the pic had been taken at a certain place and that the phenomena had lasted about an hour. Other info included says that the conditions have to be perfect--20,000 feet and exactly 58 degrees F. So, when I received the email I thought this would be great for a blog post.

Contrary to my normal procedure, I did a little research (I needed to nab a pic to include with the post). What I found was some question about the rarity of the occurrence. I also found a technical name for the event--circumhorizon arc. I've found people claiming it to be a hoax, others say it's real, still others say it simply isn't as rare as the email is reporting.

In any event, the result is still a beautiful sight. Here's another capture.

This entry was posted on 15 April 2007 at 9:29 PM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 Reader Response(s)

Anonymous  

Either way, very pretty indeed.

Did they say what causes it?

1:53 PM

Not being the scientist, my best source indicates that the Sun has to be high and shines through the crystal drops of cirrus clouds at an at least 58 degree plane. The crystals act as a prism (in much the way a rainbow is formed). It's interesting. Any meteorologists or natural scientists reading? Give a little light on the subject.

2:35 PM
Anonymous  

Pun intended? Kidding. It's cool nonetheless. I saw a full rainbow a few weeks ago. It's neat that as a child hearing the Flood Story, I still always remember God's promise to Noah when I see a rainbow.

4:08 PM

Post a Comment