Let Your Voice be Heard  

Posted by Benjie


I would never tell someone how to vote. I might tell them how I will vote, I might tell them all I've heard about an upcoming vote. But I would never tell them how to vote. On the other hand, I always encourage people to vote, if for no other reason than to cancel out my vote. Why? Because we live in a nation where we have the privilege of voting.


If you have already voted absentee because of new, easier rules about early voting, thank you. If you intend to get to the polls during hours of operation tomorrow with the express purpose of making your vote count, bless you. If you haven't registered to vote because it slipped your mind, go now and register (it won't help in this election, but you'll be ready for the next one). But if you just decided not to vote because . . . any reason here . . ., shame on you--go vote.


Voting is an opportunity to allow your voice to be heard, no matter how insignificant you think that voice may be. Shout at the voting booth, shout with your pencil. Punch out those pesky chads and speak up. Who knows, your vote may be the one that sways the election.

This entry was posted on 06 November 2006 at 4:55 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 Reader Response(s)

My daughter called this morning to tell me that she was flying to her new assignment in Dallas. She was in Pensecola, Fl. and she had a lay over in Houston. She said "Mom, I have an hour and a half layover, can you pick me up at the airport and take me to vote?" We live fairly close to the airport so I said "yes". I picked her up, dashed to our polling place, Both of us voted and then we dashed back to the airport so she could catch her connecting flight. When we got there, we noticed that my husband had already voted and had alerted the people there that our daughter was going to make a pit stop so she could vote. I suppose you could say that she was determined. Voting is a privilage that we have and it is a shame that more people don't cherish that privilage.

11:33 PM

Lucy, Thanks for the great story. Thanks for voting. And most of all, thanks for raising a conscientious daughter.

10:46 AM

Post a Comment