Christmas Reading  

Posted by Benjie

Along with music and movies, I love to read Christmas stories. I've read everything from Richard Paul Evans' Christmas Box to Dickens' Christmas Carol. They are all inspiring. Some would argue that the two little stoies I've mentioned before are strictly Christmas stories (I'll admit to one, but the other simply has Christmas elements, you decide which). This also made me think of favorite Christmas reading. Do you have any? There are so many good stories out there. Some are religious, some are based on the legends and myths associated with Christmas, but what I've found to be true of all Christmas stories is that they are heartwarming or heartwrenching or both. A good Christmas story will, at some point, pull at your heartstrings and make even the burlyest of men wipe the sweat from their eyes.

Here are some of my all-time favorite stories (aside from the original Christmas story, which of course makes all the others dim in comparison):

  • The Autobiography of Santa Claus as told to Jeff Guinn (the author followed this up with an interesting How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas which was good but not as compelling as the original. This year Guinn delivered The Great Santa Search in time for Christmas, but I haven't gotten my copy yet.)
  • A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (always a Christmas staple--one which everyone continues to try to copy.)
  • The Christmas Wish by Richard Siddoway (I read this one after seeing the made-for-TV movie starring Neal Patrick Harris. Both are good, but if you have to choose, take the book.)
  • The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans (This one has become a classic after simple beginnings as a self-published story for his children.)
  • The Christmas Shoes by Donna VanLiere (While she has added several volumes, all based around Christmas, to her bibliography, this is still VanLiere's best story.)
  • and finally, "The Gift of the Magi" by O Henry (I love to read this story just for me every year. Set in the depression years, when times were hard. If you haven't read this short story, find a copy--you won't regret it.)

If you'd like to join this discussion with your favorite (aside from the Biblical account of the Nativity) Christmas story, just post a comment. I'd love to know what you're reading.




This entry was posted on 14 December 2006 at 2:03 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 Reader Response(s)

I like The Christmas Story It's a family classic of mine.

3:29 PM

Post a Comment