Thanksvember: Day 18 - Community  

Posted by Benjie in , ,

I heard it again this week, a statement that was new to me about five years ago: "The Bible starts in a garden,  and ends in a city." The implication is that cities are more important than rural settings in the eyes of God. The difficulty that I have with such a statement is that, as I read Scripture, God is concerned about all the people of His creation. At one point we are told that He "is not willing that any should perish." (see 2 Peter 3:9) Elsewhere we read the parable about a shepherd who leaves 99 sheep to find 1 that is lost out in the wilderness. (Read it in Luke 15) So, I am convinced that God, as He loves the masses gathered in the cities around our globe, loves (just as much) the farmers and rural citizens who have chosen to stay in the countryside.

What these two (city mouse and country mouse, for those who remember that story) have in common is community. Community - people making a go of life together in a similar situation or thrust together because of geographical location. I think that community is a good thing. It reminds us that we need other people. Mankind is the pinnacle of the social being. We need contact with other human beings.

Today I want to let it be known that I am thankful for my current community. It includes churches, schools, citizens (both young and old). We find people of all races, genders, and ages scattered around. Today in particular community is important because we will be gathering for thanksgiving purposes as we worship our maker. Many will be gathering in their own local church setting for worship this morning, and then this evening we will note the patchwork that is Mulberry Grove as we gather together in our Community Thanksgiving Service.

I love community--either big or small. And I am thankful for the friendliness that is a constant part of my local community.

This entry was posted on 18 November 2012 at 6:28 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 Reader Response(s)

Post a Comment