Thanksvember Day 18  

Posted by Benjie in , ,

#18: I am thankful for Hymns.

I know what you're thinking--isn't this guy thankful for anything besides music?--but then again, you should read Day 6 again. Even so, this is different. This is hymns--those songs that some people think are archaic (there are new hymn writers doing some really great things in the 21st century).

First of all I am thankful for the old, old hymns that spoke volumes to me as I learned faith from them. Hymns like "Fairest Lord Jesus", "The Haven of Rest", and "Face to Face with Christ My Savior." I'm thankful for some of the old hymns that are being rediscovered by some of today's artists, partly because of the words that say so much more than just the words--words like a new remix of the old hymn "One Day" (on Casting Crowns' latest release under the title "Glorious Day").



I'm also thankful for new writers like Chris Tomlin and Keith Getty who are writing new hymns in the old style. Songs that are filled with sound doctrine, and songs whose words speak to the deepest reaches of our hearts.

For this I am thankful.

This entry was posted on 18 November 2011 at 2:00 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 Reader Response(s)

Post a Comment